Sunday, February 7, 2010

Some things are more important than others...

I was at the North and Central Alberta Teachers Convention last week.  The first session I went to was... well... let's just say it was and leave it at that.  The next session that I went to was much better; I actually took away something that I can apply in the classroom, and in my own life too.

Just before the second session began, I posted a comment on FaceBook about chest pains, or some such, and I was amazed at the speed of the feedback that I received.  I even had a phone call from England within minutes of me posting.  I am touched and honoured that all those who told me to go to the doctor actually took the time to do so.  I know that I have friends and people who care for me and that is wonderful knowledge to have.

Last night, I started to wonder about these 'phantom' pains/spasms/tightnesses/ feelings that I was having in my chest.  I started wondering if it was serious, or not, and if so was I ready to leave the world.  It was a pretty scary night and I started to think like everyone who thinks the end is near... I started to think about the things I didn't want to leave behind.  My family came first in my thoughts, naturally.  Then I started to think about the things that I had done wrong, you know... the sins and wrongs committed and left unrepaired and unrepented.  Happily, my list is not long, but the fact that I do have a list at all is a sign that there are things that I need to do.  I made some decisions, said some prayers, and went to sleep.  (For those of you who are interested, I did go to the doctor and I am awaiting the results.  I was told to hang tight and wait unless things get worse.  If they do, then I am to run to emergency, which I promise I will do.)

I have recommitted to improving my health, attaining and maintaining a healthy weight, and making sure that I don't add to my sin list and try to clear it off.  I know that there are priorities in life and that I need to make sure mine are clear and appropriate.  I need to make sure that I have fun.  I need to make sure that I reconnect with old friends, and make new ones.  I need to spend more and better time with my family.  I need to appreciate every minute of my life.  I don't need to worry about the future, or stress about things... anything.  I need to accept that life throws things your way and you either dodge them as best as you can, or catch them and hold on tightly.  I need to trust that I will know the difference.

Life is like that... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment